Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Report Parameter can be null

Hi,
I have a report parameter that can be null in some cases. Currently, in
the Report Parameters interface, I have check the 'Allow null value' option
for this parameter. When I preview the report (RS2005, SP1), the report
forces me to pick a value for this parameter before the report will open (if
I try to 'View Report', it says Please select a value for parameter, '<my
parameter>'.).
Any ideas on this? Also, it looks like I cannot allow for null values and
use multi-select on the same parameter. Do you know why this is?
Thank you for your help.
--
LaurieTHi LaurieT,
You can set the default value for your report parameter to be NULL in the
Report Parameter interface. This should allow the report to run without
forcing you to set a value for that parameter.
Brian
--
Brian Knight
Quaere SQL Server Blog
http://dba.typepad.com
"LaurieT" wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a report parameter that can be null in some cases. Currently, in
> the Report Parameters interface, I have check the 'Allow null value' option
> for this parameter. When I preview the report (RS2005, SP1), the report
> forces me to pick a value for this parameter before the report will open (if
> I try to 'View Report', it says Please select a value for parameter, '<my
> parameter>'.).
> Any ideas on this? Also, it looks like I cannot allow for null values and
> use multi-select on the same parameter. Do you know why this is?
> Thank you for your help.
> --
> LaurieT|||In the Report Parameter interface, I selected the option of 'Null' for
Default values, but it still forces me to pick a value for my parameter.
When I check the box that says that my parameter can have a Null value, I
expected the parameter drop down list to change, so that it contains a <Null>
option, but it doesn't. Initially it displays "<Select a Value>", and the
other options, but no "<Null>" or blank option. So now, I have said that the
value can be null, but how can I even pick null as a value?
I am totally confused.
--
LaurieT
"Brian Knight" wrote:
> Hi LaurieT,
> You can set the default value for your report parameter to be NULL in the
> Report Parameter interface. This should allow the report to run without
> forcing you to set a value for that parameter.
> Brian
> --
> Brian Knight
> Quaere SQL Server Blog
> http://dba.typepad.com
>
> "LaurieT" wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a report parameter that can be null in some cases. Currently, in
> > the Report Parameters interface, I have check the 'Allow null value' option
> > for this parameter. When I preview the report (RS2005, SP1), the report
> > forces me to pick a value for this parameter before the report will open (if
> > I try to 'View Report', it says Please select a value for parameter, '<my
> > parameter>'.).
> >
> > Any ideas on this? Also, it looks like I cannot allow for null values and
> > use multi-select on the same parameter. Do you know why this is?
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> > --
> > LaurieT

No comments:

Post a Comment