Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Report package

Hi all,
I simply wish to a number of report 'packages'. These packages contain a
number of reports as sub reports. This all works great but I wish to place
the source reports in a sub folder of the main package folder to make things
a little easier for the user. I get an error as the source report cannot be
found.
Can anyone help with this? Are linked reports suitable for this purpose?
TIA
Peter Hailsstarboss wrote:
> Hi all,
> I simply wish to a number of report 'packages'. These packages
> contain a number of reports as sub reports. This all works great but
> I wish to place the source reports in a sub folder of the main
> package folder to make things a little easier for the user. I get an
> error as the source report cannot be found.
> Can anyone help with this? Are linked reports suitable for this
> purpose?
> TIA
> Peter Hails
Yes Linked reports are good for this. Think of Linked reports as
Shortcuts to the original. Two benefits of linked reports rather than
copies are; 1) If you update the original report, the links reflect
this and 2) you can save a different set of parameters and properties
against the linked report.
As an example: We have offices in the UK, USA and Germany. I deploy a
report to a master folder which has an "office" parameter. I create
linked reports in a UK folder, USA folder etc. and on each link I set
the "office" parameter to default to the relevant office. This is a
nice way of personalising reports. Also if I change the master report,
I don't need to worry about the linked reports because they will always
run the new version, but their personalised settings will remain the
same.
Regards
Chris|||Chris McGuigan wrote:
> starboss wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I simply wish to a number of report 'packages'. These packages
> > contain a number of reports as sub reports. This all works great
> > but I wish to place the source reports in a sub folder of the main
> > package folder to make things a little easier for the user. I get
> > an error as the source report cannot be found.
> >
> > Can anyone help with this? Are linked reports suitable for this
> > purpose?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Peter Hails
> Yes Linked reports are good for this. Think of Linked reports as
> Shortcuts to the original. Two benefits of linked reports rather than
> copies are; 1) If you update the original report, the links reflect
> this and 2) you can save a different set of parameters and properties
> against the linked report.
> As an example: We have offices in the UK, USA and Germany. I deploy a
> report to a master folder which has an "office" parameter. I create
> linked reports in a UK folder, USA folder etc. and on each link I set
> the "office" parameter to default to the relevant office. This is a
> nice way of personalising reports. Also if I change the master report,
> I don't need to worry about the linked reports because they will
> always run the new version, but their personalised settings will
> remain the same.
> Regards
> Chris
Further to this; you should still keep the sub-reports in the same
folder as the main report to make the links in the main report work -
but hide them if you want to portray a hierarchical organisational view
in Report Manager. It's a bit "smoke and mirrors" but it works!
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment