Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Report Hangs - Security Issue?

Iâ'm running SQL Server 2005 with Reporting Services. I have developed a
number of reports that use data from a fairly obscure financial package that
we use. The data sits on a Unix server and is pulled into SRSS using an ODBC
driver. When the connection to the data is made PowerTCP launches
(www.dart.com). I had deployed a number of these reports and they were
working but no longer work from the Report Manager either on a remote
computer or on the server logged on as the Administrator. The reports still
function in the preview window of the Visual Studio environment. I initially
thought that it could have something to do with the enhanced DCOM security
with Window Server 2003 SP1. I am hesitant to uninstall SP1, but I guess it
may be worth a try. I canâ't definitively pin down a time frame as to when
the reports stopped working (i.e. pre or post SP1). I have combed all the
log files I can think of, but havenâ't discovered anything. One interesting
note is that when I launch the report the server beeps once and then the
report never comes up, it just sits there. I am at my witâ's end so if
someone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.I don't quite understand but one thing you could try is to add the site to
the safe list in 2003 Server. SP1 locks down accessing other servers unless
they are part of the safe list.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8B537B1B-D382-44FD-928B-FD525BB0C920@.microsoft.com...
> I'm running SQL Server 2005 with Reporting Services. I have developed a
> number of reports that use data from a fairly obscure financial package
> that
> we use. The data sits on a Unix server and is pulled into SRSS using an
> ODBC
> driver. When the connection to the data is made PowerTCP launches
> (www.dart.com). I had deployed a number of these reports and they were
> working but no longer work from the Report Manager either on a remote
> computer or on the server logged on as the Administrator. The reports
> still
> function in the preview window of the Visual Studio environment. I
> initially
> thought that it could have something to do with the enhanced DCOM security
> with Window Server 2003 SP1. I am hesitant to uninstall SP1, but I guess
> it
> may be worth a try. I can't definitively pin down a time frame as to when
> the reports stopped working (i.e. pre or post SP1). I have combed all the
> log files I can think of, but haven't discovered anything. One
> interesting
> note is that when I launch the report the server beeps once and then the
> report never comes up, it just sits there. I am at my wit's end so if
> someone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance.
>|||To clarify, I think the way it works is that when the ODBC driver goes out to
grab data it lauches PowerTCP which establishes a connection to the Unix
server and allows for the data transfer.
Is the safe list you are talking about in Internet Explorer sites? Where do
I configure the safe list you are talking about?
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> I don't quite understand but one thing you could try is to add the site to
> the safe list in 2003 Server. SP1 locks down accessing other servers unless
> they are part of the safe list.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8B537B1B-D382-44FD-928B-FD525BB0C920@.microsoft.com...
> > I'm running SQL Server 2005 with Reporting Services. I have developed a
> > number of reports that use data from a fairly obscure financial package
> > that
> > we use. The data sits on a Unix server and is pulled into SRSS using an
> > ODBC
> > driver. When the connection to the data is made PowerTCP launches
> > (www.dart.com). I had deployed a number of these reports and they were
> > working but no longer work from the Report Manager either on a remote
> > computer or on the server logged on as the Administrator. The reports
> > still
> > function in the preview window of the Visual Studio environment. I
> > initially
> > thought that it could have something to do with the enhanced DCOM security
> > with Window Server 2003 SP1. I am hesitant to uninstall SP1, but I guess
> > it
> > may be worth a try. I can't definitively pin down a time frame as to when
> > the reports stopped working (i.e. pre or post SP1). I have combed all the
> > log files I can think of, but haven't discovered anything. One
> > interesting
> > note is that when I launch the report the server beeps once and then the
> > report never comes up, it just sits there. I am at my wit's end so if
> > someone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
>
>|||Yes, it is in IE, Tools, Security tab, Safe Sites
--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:396E5C0F-470A-4A7C-A73A-894C4C57164E@.microsoft.com...
> To clarify, I think the way it works is that when the ODBC driver goes out
> to
> grab data it lauches PowerTCP which establishes a connection to the Unix
> server and allows for the data transfer.
> Is the safe list you are talking about in Internet Explorer sites? Where
> do
> I configure the safe list you are talking about?
> "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
>> I don't quite understand but one thing you could try is to add the site
>> to
>> the safe list in 2003 Server. SP1 locks down accessing other servers
>> unless
>> they are part of the safe list.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>> "Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:8B537B1B-D382-44FD-928B-FD525BB0C920@.microsoft.com...
>> > I'm running SQL Server 2005 with Reporting Services. I have developed
>> > a
>> > number of reports that use data from a fairly obscure financial package
>> > that
>> > we use. The data sits on a Unix server and is pulled into SRSS using
>> > an
>> > ODBC
>> > driver. When the connection to the data is made PowerTCP launches
>> > (www.dart.com). I had deployed a number of these reports and they were
>> > working but no longer work from the Report Manager either on a remote
>> > computer or on the server logged on as the Administrator. The reports
>> > still
>> > function in the preview window of the Visual Studio environment. I
>> > initially
>> > thought that it could have something to do with the enhanced DCOM
>> > security
>> > with Window Server 2003 SP1. I am hesitant to uninstall SP1, but I
>> > guess
>> > it
>> > may be worth a try. I can't definitively pin down a time frame as to
>> > when
>> > the reports stopped working (i.e. pre or post SP1). I have combed all
>> > the
>> > log files I can think of, but haven't discovered anything. One
>> > interesting
>> > note is that when I launch the report the server beeps once and then
>> > the
>> > report never comes up, it just sits there. I am at my wit's end so if
>> > someone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>>|||Thanks for your efforts, but I still can't get it working. I'll have to find
a work around.
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> Yes, it is in IE, Tools, Security tab, Safe Sites
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>
> "Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:396E5C0F-470A-4A7C-A73A-894C4C57164E@.microsoft.com...
> > To clarify, I think the way it works is that when the ODBC driver goes out
> > to
> > grab data it lauches PowerTCP which establishes a connection to the Unix
> > server and allows for the data transfer.
> >
> > Is the safe list you are talking about in Internet Explorer sites? Where
> > do
> > I configure the safe list you are talking about?
> >
> > "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I don't quite understand but one thing you could try is to add the site
> >> to
> >> the safe list in 2003 Server. SP1 locks down accessing other servers
> >> unless
> >> they are part of the safe list.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> >> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> >>
> >> "Rob" <Rob@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:8B537B1B-D382-44FD-928B-FD525BB0C920@.microsoft.com...
> >> > I'm running SQL Server 2005 with Reporting Services. I have developed
> >> > a
> >> > number of reports that use data from a fairly obscure financial package
> >> > that
> >> > we use. The data sits on a Unix server and is pulled into SRSS using
> >> > an
> >> > ODBC
> >> > driver. When the connection to the data is made PowerTCP launches
> >> > (www.dart.com). I had deployed a number of these reports and they were
> >> > working but no longer work from the Report Manager either on a remote
> >> > computer or on the server logged on as the Administrator. The reports
> >> > still
> >> > function in the preview window of the Visual Studio environment. I
> >> > initially
> >> > thought that it could have something to do with the enhanced DCOM
> >> > security
> >> > with Window Server 2003 SP1. I am hesitant to uninstall SP1, but I
> >> > guess
> >> > it
> >> > may be worth a try. I can't definitively pin down a time frame as to
> >> > when
> >> > the reports stopped working (i.e. pre or post SP1). I have combed all
> >> > the
> >> > log files I can think of, but haven't discovered anything. One
> >> > interesting
> >> > note is that when I launch the report the server beeps once and then
> >> > the
> >> > report never comes up, it just sits there. I am at my wit's end so if
> >> > someone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
> >> >
> >> > Thanks in advance.
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment